Eligibility & Cost | Center Locations | Home
Community Action, Inc. Head Start/Early Head Start (CAI HS/EHS) serves approximately 250 infants, toddlers, pregnant mothers, fathers and preschoolers. CAI HS/EHS classroom centers are located in Haverhill and Newburyport and are licensed by the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC). Our centers are accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). CAI HS/EHS offers:
- Infant/Toddler full day/full year center-based (Haverhill only)
- Preschool part-day/part-year (3.5 hours per day, Monday through Thursday) (Haverhill and Newburyport)
- Home-based services (EHS only - Greater Haverhill/Newburyport area)
- Family child care (EHS only - Greater Haverhill/Newburyport area)
- Socialization Groups ( EHS only Haverhill and Newburyport)
Families are eligible if their household income meets the federal income guidelines, qualify for public assistance, receiving TANF benefits or services from another EEC program. We can, to a limited extent, accept over-income families.
To find out if your family is eligible, please contact us at 978-372-5052, complete the Request for Application Form or e-mail
What does Head Start / Early Head Start offer?
The highest quality...
- Classrooms and Outdoor Space
- Family Services
- Health Services
- Mental Health/Wellness Services
- Special Needs Services
- Kindergarten Preparedness
- Volunteer and Leadership Opportunities
- Transportation Service
What can the Head Start / Early Head Start program offer your child?
CAI HS/EHS provides children with activities that help them grow cognitively, socially, emotionally, and physically. The CAI HS/EHS staff recognize that, as parents, you are the first and most important teachers of your children. We will welcome your involvement in CAI HS/EHS activities and will work as partners with you to help your child progress. CAI HS/EHS staff members offer your child unconditional care and concern, acceptance, understanding, the opportunity to learn and experience success. CAI HS/EHS children socialize with others, solve problems, and have other experiences which help them become self-confident and ready to enter Kindergarten. The children also improve their listening and speaking skills.
What can the Head Start / Early Head Start program offer your family?
- CAI HS/EHS offers you a sense of belonging, support services, and a chance to be involved in activities to help your whole family. You can take part in classes on many subjects, such as parenting, job training, health and nutrition, and using free resources in your own community.
- CAI HS/EHS offers parent support. Some parents learn the English language; others learn to cook. CAI HS/EHS also offers assistance to parents interested in obtaining a high school General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or other adult education opportunities.
- CAI HS/EHS offers family referral services. If you have a family member with a special problem, such as drug or alcohol abuse, job loss, or other family crisis, your family can receive help through CAI HS/EHS. CAI HS/EHS staff members refer families needing help to medical, social, transitional assistance, or employment specialists in the community and will follow up to be sure you receive assistance.
- You can become a CAI HS/EHS volunteer and learn more about child development. This experience may later qualify you for training which can help you find employment in the child care field.
- You can also have a voice in the CAI HS/EHS program by serving on Policy Council and on various committees. Parents' experiences in CAI HS/EHS have raised their own self-confidence and improved their ability to make decisions.